Question: My 7-year old loves fruit snacks. Which ones are the healthiest for her?
Answer: The reality is that fruit snacks are often just candy with the word “fruit” in the title. So it’s important to shop carefully, and either choose fruit leathers, which are made from fruit puree and have no added sugar, or an organic brand of fruit snacks that are free of artificial colors or flavors. Here are a few great products:
- Stretch Island Fruit Strips. These delicious fruit leathers count as 1/2 a serving of fruit, are 100% natural, and have no added sugar, just the naturally occurring sugar in the fruit.
- Fruitabu Fruit Rolls. These are a great substitute for the traditional fruit roll up. Also made by Stretch Island Fruit Co, they offer a full serving of fruit, no added sugars, and are a real hit with kids.
- Tasty Brand Organic Fruit Snacks (pictured above). These organic snacks fall into the occasional treat category, but you can rest assured that they have no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Plus, your child (and you!) will love the taste.
- Annie’s Homegrown Organic Fruit Snacks. The best thing about these certified organic bunny-shaped treats (besides the fact that they’re made with real fruit juice and have no artificial colors or flavors, of course) is that they come in four different delicious flavors, so it’s impossible to get bored.
- Trader Joe’s Fiberful Dried Fruit Bar. These bars are essentially fruit leathers packed with fiber. Don’t go too crazy on them or you’ll get a belly ache, but in moderate portions, they’re a nice healthy treat.