- carbohydrate (4 calories per gram)
- protein (4 calories/gram)
- fat (9 calories/gram)
- alcohol (7/gram)
Most foods are combinations of these nutrients. For example, a piece of wheat bread is a mixture of carbs, protein, and fat. A light beer is a mixture of carbs & alcohol. A chicken wing is mostly protein & fat. Your body needs each of these nutrients (except alcohol) in order to function.
- Drink calorie-free beverages. Get rid of the juice, soda, sweetened coffee, vitamin waters, etc.
- Reduce alcohol intake. Wine, beer, and cocktails provide us with tons of empty calories. Keep drinking to a minimum and the weight will come off easily.
- Snack on veggies and fruits. Anytime you replace a food with veggies and fruits, you’ll by default reduce calories. Switch from chips, crackers, nuts, cheese, etc. to produce and you will lower overall calorie intake.
- Cut back on sugar. Not just desserts, but sugar in coffee, sweetened yogurt, sauces, and condiments.