Healthy Mac ‘n Cheese sounds like an oxymoron, right? But here we have it. Delicious, quick, and easy.
Amelia’s Squash Mac and Cheese
12 oz whole wheat macaroni noodles
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 8-oz package mushrooms, sliced thinly
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 can fat-free evaporated milk (see picture below)
14 oz box frozen pureed squash, thawed (see example below)
1.5 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
- Prepare noodles according to package directions, making sure to liberally salt the pasta water. Leave pasta in the strainer and return pot to the stove.
- In the pasta pot, saute onion and mushrooms in the butter (with generous pinch of salt & small pinch of pepper) over medium heat until onions soften (5-8 min), stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour to the pot and stir mixture for about a minute.
- Add full can of evaporated milk, whisk for ~3 minutes or until mixture has thickened a bit.
- Add thawed squash puree to pot and whisk to combine, then add cheeses and pinch of nutmeg and continue whisking until mixture is smooth and cheese is melted.
- Return the noodles to the pot and gently fold into noodles with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Serve with some more sprinkles of Parmesan cheese, alongside a green salad or any vegetable side dish. Serves 6 people.
These are the key ingredients for making this recipe creamy and smooth, yet healthy. Evaporated fat-free milk:
and frozen pureed squash. You can cook fresh squash and puree it yourself, but this is an easy and cheap option: