Ninety-nine percent of the time, I buy pre-washed salad greens. While I’m theoretically opposed to extra packaging, I know that my family is going to eat more salad if I don’t have to wash, dry, de-stem and chop our greens.
Once in awhile though, I forget what a pain it is to deal with dirty greens – or I see some good-looking kale at the farmer’s market and can’t resist. I usually regret this as I’m later laboring over my kitchen sink, but I never regret the amazing salads we get to eat when I’m done!
This Crunchy Kale Salad was born on a day like that – when my favorite vendor had 6 bunches of black and purple kale remaining at the end of the market. I bought them all, came home and made this salad for the next three nights. It was a lot of effort, but totally worth it.
To me, Kale Salad is the ultimate. No other baby green can compare to that crunch and texture you get from kale. I could eat a family-sized portion all by myself, and often do.
This particular salad also involves my other favorite ingredients – apples, avocado and golden raisins. With a sprinkle of sesame seeds this salad is just about perfect.
Try topping this with boiled eggs, garbanzo beans and/or grilled chicken for a heartier main meal. Enjoy!
- 1 small lemon
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- Leaves from 1 large bunch kale - chopped
- 1 large crunch apple (I like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp or Pink Lady)
- 1 large avocado
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 3 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the bottom of a large salad bowl. Whisk in the honey, olive oil and salt.
- Add the chopped kale and use your hands to toss the kale with the dressing until all the leaves are well coated. Let sit 5 min.
- Toss again with your hands, then add remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine.
- Serve as is or top with beans, chicken, hard boiled egg or feta cheese.