When my friend Amie asked me to help spread the word about her new cookbook by sharing one of the recipes here on my blog, I answered with an enthusiastic “Yes!” Because Amie is my friend, and I love supporting my friends, especially when they do totally amazing things like publish a book.
But honestly, I didn’t really expect to like this book. Sure, Amie is a talented chef and accomplished food blogger, but I couldn’t imagine a book full of recipes that are 100% free of gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, eggs, meat, corn, white flour and refined sugar could be for me. After all, these are some of my favorite things to ingest! 😉
Oh how wrong I was.
You see, Amie has somehow managed to create delicious, flavorful, drop.dead.gorgeous food that just happens to be free of the ingredients above. On nearly every page I’ve found a recipe I want to – and plan to – try. As I told her this morning, I think I could live off the food in this book for the rest of my life. And I mean it!
Amie’s letting me share one of her recipes with you today – this Golden Bell Pepper Soup.
Though bell peppers are nowhere near my favorite vegetables, I will tell you with 100% conviction that this soup is fabulous. The sweet potato and carrot give it a sweet flavor and smooth texture that just perfectly complements the bell peppers.
And let’s face it. If a dish has croutons, I’m all in!
Next time you need a burst of flavor and color in your life but don’t have all day to cook, make this soup. And be sure to check out Amie’s Eating Clean cookbook. You won’t regret it!
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 yellow, red and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
- Gluten-free croutons (or any croutons - I made some using ends of old bread from my fridge)
- Sliced avocado, for garnish (optional)
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and broth. Season with salt and black pepper, cover the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and add the marjoram. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Let the soup cool slightly, and then, in batches, transfer to a blender and puree until smooth (I used an immersion blender so I could blend it right in the pot).
- If needed, thin the soup with water. Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if necessary. Return the soup to the pot to keep warm until serving.
- Serve garnished with the Herbed Croutons and, if desired, the avocado and cilantro on top and Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce on the side.