I never used to understand people when they said they “forgot to eat lunch.” Seriously? You mean you didn’t notice your stomach growling like a bear all day long, threatening to turn into a little raisin if you didn’t put something in it immediately? I just couldn’t relate.
Then I had kids. And began forgetting to eat not only lunch, but breakfast, dinner, snacks, etc. all the time.
It’s not that I don’t get hungry. I’m just usually so concerned with meeting my kids’ needs that I don’t notice my hunger until I have a moment of downtime. Usually this moment happens when I get into the car to go somewhere. I start driving and quickly realize I’m starving.
The solution, I’ve found, is to stash snacks in my purse, backpack, glove compartment, and stroller. When hunger strikes, I have something to tide me over until I get home and can make a proper meal.
Below are my current favorite portable snacks. Each of these is pretty nutritious and tastes great.
- Justin’s Nut Butter Squeeze Packs. Perfect with an apple when I remember to grab one. Also fine when squeezed directly into mouth (a little at a time so you don’t choke – and don’t let kids do this).
- Bitsy’s Brain Food Smart Cookies. These really taste like beets! But the beet-chocolate-orange combo just works.
- Made in Nature Fusion Nut Blends. I don’t even know what’s all in this, but I do know it’s delicious enough to require packing it in little containers so you don’t eat the whole bag at once.
- Trader Joe’s Dried Mango Slices. Sweet, chewy and just one ingredient: mango.
- Nutiva O’Coconut Treats. Healthier than a macaroon but just as tasty, and very satisfying for their size.
- Larabar in Coconut Chocolate Chip. I’m not a big bar person, but I never get tired of the chocolatey, coconutty, walnutty flavors in this one.
Margaret Ann @ MAK and Her CheeseNovember 21, 2015 at 8:30 pm
I love making snack mixes–my favorite right now is cranberry pecan granola, sea salt roasted chickpeas, and dark chocolate-covered almonds! I also love Kind bars (especially dark chocolate cherry cashew, maple sea salt pecan, and peanut butter strawberry) and Pure bars (similar to Larabars but I like them even better). Justin’s maple almond butter is also a favorite.
I’m intrigued by those Bitsy cookies…I’ve never seen them before, but they look like they may be good!
Amelia WinslowNovember 23, 2015 at 11:40 am
Your current fave snack mix sounds divine! What kind of roasted chickpeas do you buy or do you make them? My husband would love that. I like Pure bars too 🙂
Susan KatzDecember 4, 2015 at 10:17 am
Honestly, my favorite snack to keep in my purse is just a baggie (about 1/2 cup) of whole raw almonds! Usually if I’m really hungry, what I really need is that protein injection. 🙂 I have to refill my baggie at least once per week!
Amelia WinslowDecember 9, 2015 at 11:55 am
Healthy fat + protein = true satisfaction!
Margaret Ann @ MAK and Her CheeseDecember 19, 2015 at 3:05 pm
I’ve had The Good Bean and Biena, and they’re both great! My favorites are sea salt from The Good Bean and cinnamon crunch from Biena.
Amelia WinslowDecember 27, 2015 at 9:58 pm
I’ve never had Biena – but anything cinnamon crunch sounds like something I’d love!