This smoothie marked my inaugural use of hemp seeds. I wasn’t sure what to do with hemp or whether I would like it, but I found that the seeds added a nice texture and nutty flavor to my smoothie. They also made a smoothie more of a filling meal because of their fat, protein, and fiber content.
Remember that smoothies need to be viewed as a meal or hearty snack rather than a drink. As long as you don’t drink smoothies down like water and keep the portion size reasonable, these thick fruity treats make a healthy and delicious breakfast, lunch, or snack. This Blueberry Hemp Smoothie is especially nutty and creamy because of the seeds and almond butter…mmmm.
If you read yesterday’s post and thought “What on earth would I ever do with hemp seeds?” this recipe is for you. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon Almond Butter
- 1 ½ cups Blueberries, frozen
- 1 cup Vanilla Soymilk
- ½ cup Plain lowfat yogurt
- 1 cup Ice cubes
- 1 Bananas, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup Hemp seeds
- Combine soymilk, yogurt, almond butter, and hemp in a blender. Add frozen fruit (break banana into chunks) and ice cubes and pulse until smoothie is thick and smooth. Add more ice cubes if you like a thicker smoothie.