‘Tis the season to detox.
Trouble is, that word is nonsense. (At least in the context of healthy eating).
Unfortunately you cannot “undo” a month-long Christmas cookie binge with a few days of green juices. The body just doesn’t work that way. If our organs were swimming in toxins every time we ate a Cheez-It or overindulged on eggnog, we’d be long gone by now.
“But I feel so much better when I’m on a cleanse!” you say.
That’s because vegetables and fruits are good for you, not because you’re “detoxing” your body of whatever you were eating before.
So what can you do in January, then, to shift from holiday indulgence to a healthier lifestyle?
Well, you can Regroup. Refocus. Recover. Recommit. Recharge.
And while you’re doing those, make this smoothie.
(Need a new blender to make it in? Keep reading for your chance to win a KitchenAid Diamond Blender!)
This Creamy Green Hemp Seed Smoothie incorporates some of the real ways to get back to a healthy routine, like:
- Making veggies & fruits the “main event” at meals and snacks
- Combining protein with healthy fats and carbohydrates for optimal satisfaction
- Getting fiber from nuts, seeds and whole grains
- Eating foods in their whole-food form, as opposed to powders and supplements
And it also happens to taste delicious – which is key for maintaining healthy habits, since nobody wants to eat bland food.
Ingredients like kale, hemp seeds, yogurt, fruit and coconut are what makes this smoothie shine, both in terms of taste and nutrition.
Just a whirl in the blender and you have a healthy, satisfying, flavorful snack or light meal that can aid in your recommitment to healthy habits in 2015.
- ¾ cup coconut water
- 1 packed cup baby kale leaves
- ½ cup organic plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 large frozen banana
- 2 pitted dates (or if using the large Medjool dates, just one)
- 1 Tbsp raw, shelled hemp seeds
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. (If your blender needs a little help incorporating everything, use the pulse button).
KitchenAid Diamond Blender Giveaway ENDED
For more delicious blended recipes, check out these posts from some of my blogger friends:
Curried Carrot Cauliflower Soup from Hip Foodie Mom
Roasted Broccoli Soup from Life’s Ambrosia
Kick Booty Kale Smoothie from The Law Student’s Wife
Creamy Spinach Lentil Soup from Kitchen Confidante
Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing from Love Grows Wild
Bacon, Kale and Roasted Tomato Eggs Benedict from Girl Versus Dough
Dairy Free Roasted Squash Soup from The Fresh 20