It’s Mother’s Day, and frankly I don’t know of any mom who couldn’t use a little more energy in the form of a tasty grab-n-go treat 🙂
These peanutty, chocolatey little balls are essentially no-bake cookies, but with a healthier spin. I keep them in the fridge for easy access when I would otherwise be eating a more highly processed snack (with fewer nutrients) like crackers or a granola bar.
One of the best things about these energy balls is that you can customize them using any similar ingredients you like. Swap out the peanut butter for another nut or seed butter, the chocolate for dried fruit (but really, who would do that?), or the dates for maple syrup. All that’s needed is a consistency sticky enough to hold together when you roll the mixture into balls.
Enjoy! And more importantly, Happy Mother’s Day!
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- ⅓ cup date paste (see notes below)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1.5 cups rolled or quick oats
- ½ cup toasted coconut flakes
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ chopped dark or milk chocolate (or mini chocolate chips)
- ¼ cup raisins
- Place chia seeds in a small bowl with 3 Tbsp water & let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir together peanut butter, date paste, honey, vanilla and salt in a large bowl until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and chia seeds and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes, then roll mixture into small balls. (If mixture is crumbling apart or not easy to form into balls, add a little more nut butter, honey, or a tablespoon of water).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Honey or maple syrup can easily be substituted for the date paste if you don't have dates on-hand.