Despite this tiny citrus fruit’s funny name, it’s unique flavor and sweet(ish) edible rind make them one of winter’s finest gems, and a fabulous addition to green salads.
I like to slice kumquats pretty thinly when adding them to salads, in order to remove any tiny seeds and because a little bite of kumquat pairs so nicely with other flavors.
Here I’ve combined sliced kumquats with Earthbound Farm’s Herb Salad blend –
which is a combination of spring lettuces and tasty little fresh herbs –
as well as pistachios (for a salty crunch) and avocados (for a rich, creamy texture).
Add a very simple orange vinaigrette and you have an easy – yet unique and impressive – winter salad.
- One 5 oz bag Earthbound Farm Herb Blend
- 8-10 kumquats, washed and thinly sliced (remove any seeds you find)
- 1 small avocado, cut into chunks
- 3 Tbsp shelled salted pistachios
- For the vinaigrette:
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch each salt & pepper
- Place the greens in a salad bowl or on a large platter.
- Top with the kumquats, avocado and pistachios.
- Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl, then drizzle the dressing on the salad.
- Serve right away.
Catching up on Salad Month recipes?
Here’s what you’ve missed: