I don’t really like oatmeal. But I do love the way it makes me feel: warm, satisfied, and full until lunchtime.
So to motivate myself to eat oatmeal more often, I’m constantly playing around with flavors and toppings that make it a little tastier and more exciting. Some winning combinations so far:
Bananas + peanut butter + vanilla Greek yogurt
Chocolate hazelnut spread + bananas + chopped hazelnuts
Honey roasted almonds + blueberries + coconut flakes
And the best one?
My homemade version of Instant Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal. Because who doesn’t love an old-school flavored instant oatmeal packet? (sans the artificial flavors and ingredients, of course).
This Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal is not only delicious, it’s also super nutritious thanks to chia and hemp seeds, which add nutty flavor and a pleasant little crunch.
We now make this on the weekends so it’s ready to eat it on busy mornings, all week long.
- 3 cups quick oats
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ½ cup freeze-dried apples, broken into small pieces
- pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Move mixture to an airtight container.
- When ready to make a bowl of oatmeal, combine ⅔ cup of the mixture with 1⅓ cup boiling water and let sit 5 minutes. Or, add 1⅓ cup cold water and microwave for about 2 minutes or until cereal is cooked.
- Instant oatmeal will keep in an airtight container for one month.
Christina @ The Beautiful BalanceOctober 24, 2014 at 10:28 am
YUM! I just made an apple cinnamon pumpkin oatmeal and this is my next to make. Love the idea of it being instant for mornings when I don’t feel like taking the time to make it.
Amelia WinslowOctober 25, 2014 at 10:26 pm
Adding pumpkin sounds delish!
CindyhienJanuary 27, 2015 at 8:35 pm
I love having oatmeal for my breakfast. Oatmeal is always good for me. I will try this recipe