kale and white bean soup with chicken sausage – A hearty, veggie-packed soup that’s best enjoyed with Parmesan cheese & croutons.
It’s been so hot in LA lately that I almost melt when I see people in my Instagram feed sporting down vests or drinking Pumpkin Spice Lattes.
But despite the heat, I’m always in the mood for soup. Partly because I can make it in the morning then just reheat in the pot before dinnertime, and partly because really anything goes in soup. These two factors make it the most convenient meal, no matter the season.
The other day I had two bags of Earthbound Farm’s new chopped kale blend, so I thought I’d make a kale-packed Tuscan Bean Soup. Though my kids didn’t jump at the idea of a soup with lots of floating green things in it, my husband and I each had three bowls. It was SO flavorful, satisfying and all-around delicious. We’ve been happily enjoying the leftovers all week.
Below is the recipe I used, but it’s a very forgiving soup so you could add any additional veggies you like.
Happy Fall! (or Indian Summer)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 12-oz package pre-cooked chicken sausages (I used Fork in the Road Spicy Heirloom Pepper - it's spicy!)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 9-oz bag of fresh chopped kale (I used the Earthbound Farm Blend Me mix)
- 1 10-oz package frozen butternut squash cubes (I used Earthbound Farm)
- 1 14-oz can (or Tetra-Pak) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Croutons or toasted baguette for serving
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a medium-sized heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Slice sausages and add to the pot. Cook, stirring once or twice, until somewhat browned - about 5 minutes.
- Remove sausages to a plate, then add remaining oil, chopped onion and carrot to the pot.
- Stir frequently until veggies have softened slightly, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the oregano, thyme and garlic and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in the kale and squash cubes and cook 1 minute.
- Add the broth, water, beans & cooked sausage and stir to combine.
- Let simmer over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, then reduce to low heat and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Season with red pepper flakes (if you're not using a spicy sausage) and salt if necessary.
- Serve with crostini, croutons and/or Parmesan cheese.