A wintry, hearty, crunchy and satisfying vegetarian slaw topped with crispy tofu to make it a meal.
Salad is a nightly staple at our house. Not only do we really enjoy salad, but my husband and I notice that we just feel so much better when we’re eating it frequently. Whenever we’re traveling or out of our normal eating routine, we both can’t wait to get back to our nightly salads.
This is especially true from Halloween to Christmas. With all the treat-eating that happens between now and the end of the year, amping up the veggie intake in between indulgences is even more important!
Of course, no one wants to eat the same salad every night, or even the same several salads. So I vary up the type of greens, flavors, textures, dressings and toppings as often as possible.
One of my husband’s recent favorites was this Spicy Cabbage Slaw with Salsa Roasted Tofu. The super crunchy veggies with the creamy dressing and chewy tofu were a winning combination and super satisfying.
You can use any shredded cabbage blend for this recipe, since the dominant flavors are in the salad’s additions. But if you’re passionate about buying organic produce like I am, look for Earthbound Farm’s new crunchy cabbage blends. The Street Taco Blend – which has cilantro in addition to cabbage – is perfect in this salad.
If your family is more into meat, or if you have leftover chicken, fish or steak in the fridge, you can easily mix one of those with salsa in and use in your slaw in place of tofu.
Let me know if you try and like this as much as we did!
- ½ an avocado, mashed with a fork
- ½ a chipotle pepper canned in adobo sauce, finely minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp plain yogurt (optional, leave out for vegan)
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 package Earthbound Farm Street Taco Blend, or any 9 oz bag shredded cabbage
- For the Tofu
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place tofu cubes on a parchment lined baking sheet and toss with the oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Roast tofu for 15 minutes, then remove and add salsa to the baking sheet. Toss so that all the cubes are coated with salsa, then return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until tofu is the consistency you like. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the first 4 ingredients in the bottom of a salad bowl, until smooth and creamy. Taste and season with salt if desired.
- Add bell pepper and cabbage to the bowl and toss well to combine. Let sit while tofu is roasting.
- To serve, toss cabbage blend again so that dressing is well-distributed, and separate among 2-3 bowls. Top with tofu and serve.
This is not a sponsored post, but I am an ambassador for Earthbound Farm and they sent me some of these new cabbage blends to try. Thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.