A few weeks ago I took my first solo trip – for fun, not work – since becoming a mom. Though I felt a little nervous (and had to pump every night at 3am for two months in order to store enough milk for Ben, oy!), it ended up being a wonderful experience.
While my kids were happy at home with their dad, I got to trot around my old neighborhood in Boston (with an obligatory stop at Flour Bakery for a sticky bun),
visit family on Cape Cod,
and celebrate this mama-to-be with some old college friends.
One night in Providence, we ate at a place called Nick’s, where we were served a spoon-sized bite of a strawberry & cucumber salad with Ricotta Salata, dill and candied walnuts. Though the whole meal there was delicious, this salad stuck out as something I’d love to recreate at home.
So here’s my copycat version.
Only 5 ingredients + dressing, this simple salad is quick to assemble and makes a perfect summer side dish. The fresh dill is my favorite part – so unexpected and flavorful – but of course you could substitute any other fresh leafy herb.
Thank you, Nick’s for the idea!
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and chopped into small chunks
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and gently chopped
- ⅓ cup candied pecans or walnuts
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh baby dill
- 3 Tbsp high quality white balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Whisk vinegar, oil and a pinch each of salt & pepper in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add the cucumber, dill and nuts and toss with the dressing.
- Add the strawberries and feta and gently toss to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled