Kombucha – a.k.a. fermented probiotic tea – is flying off the shelves at Whole Foods and other natural grocery stores. But what most consumers don’t know, is that not all kombucha is created equal.
In fact, many of the big kombucha brands are:
- Fermented in plastic containers, which like anything cooked/packaged in plastic, may be harmful to our health
- Artificially carbonated, rather than letting the good-for-you bacteria do the fizzing
- Fermented with chemicals or powders, not real kombucha culture
- Made with concentrates, dyes or flavorings, instead of real fresh fruit & naturally-occurring flavor
As is often true with foods that become popular, companies are taking advantage of consumers by producing kombucha that really doesn’t offer the health benefits of real kombucha.
Real kombucha is beneficial for the following reasons:
- It’s full of live active cultures – like kefir or yogurt – which are good for your digestion and overall health
- May help boost immunity, like other naturally-occurring probiotics are thought to do
- Provides a natural, healthy energy boost when you need a little pick-me-up but don’t want much caffeine or sugar
How do you know if you’re buying real kombucha?
Read the label and ingredients. Call your kombucha company and ask about their production process. Or, buy Health-Ade. It’s the only brand in my area that’s made the old-fashioned way: in glass containers (never plastic), 100% organic, authentically fermented and unpasteurized, and in small batches to ensure quality.
If you love real kombucha and want to support a company whose doing it right, here’s your chance:
Health-Ade is currently running a Kickstarter campaign so they can scale up without selling out. They’re super popular in Los Angeles and want to begin serving other cities, but they need your help to make it happen!
Health-Ade is owned by my good friends, but I whole-heartedly believe in their product and recommend it to anyone who likes kombucha!