I never ate Hamburger Helper as a kid, but when I saw this creamy, veggie-packed pasta dish in Eating Well Magazine a few years ago I gave it a try, and was so glad I did. It’s rich, hearty flavor has made it a staple in our house. If you don’t eat beef, you can easily make it with lean ground turkey, ground chicken, or even ground soy crumbles.
Homemade Hamburger Helper I recommend the following changes:
- Use regular beef broth instead of low-sodium (it needs more salt)
- Use all broth instead of broth/water combo (so buy a quart-size box instead of a can)
- Add 3-4 extra cloves of garlic
- Add 1 extra Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Stir in 1/2 cup fresh parsley at the end, and garnish with parsley or chives as recipe suggests
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese