Yesterday I posted some hearty, flavorful, yet healthy salads that you can make at home. But salad isn’t always the healthiest choice when you’re dining out. This article, from Eat This Not That, shows you 20 salads that are so bad for you, you’d be better off ordering a Whopper. Really! And oops, I ordered one of them – the Wendy’s BLT Cobb Salad – on our road trip (pictured above).
Now before you run off to order Whoppers and Big Macs, keep in mind that you can make your restaurant salad A LOT healthier by customizing it a little. And when you do so, it does become a better choice than a Whopper.
Tips for making your restaurant salad healthier:
- Request dressing on the side
- Ask if a “light” dressing is available; if not, order a vinaigrette and add just a little
- Pick off the huge pile of greasy wontons, croutons, or fried onions that come on top
- Remove half the bacon and if the pile of meat is bigger than the pile of lettuce, remove half the meat too
- Don’t eat all the cheese — many salads have 2-3 servings (300 calories & 30 g fat!) of cheese
- If ordering a taco salad, order it without the shell and with the guacamole & sour cream on the side
- Keep portion size in mind – just because it’s a salad, doesn’t mean you should eat the whole thing