A decade ago, indulging in holiday cookies, cakes and candies also meant indulging in extra food additives and chemicals. We didn’t do this intentionally of course, but many of the products we all grew up baking with – food coloring, conventional candy, cookie toppings, packaged cake mixes, etc. – are loaded with not-so-safe ingredients that inevitably made their way onto our holiday tables.
Luckily, times have changed!
There are so many delicious, festive, and fun products on the market now that allow us to make all our favorite family recipes, but more naturally.
From naturally-derived colors for frosting, to organic sprinkles, to butter from pasture-raised cows, we can stock up on all the necessities and rest assured that we’re reducing our family’s exposure to toxic chemicals at the same time. It’s a win-win.
Below are a few of my favorite products for holiday baking. Let me know if you have any trouble finding these and I’ll help guide you to stores that carry them.
And let me know if you have any favorite products I haven’t listed here!
- Let’s do Organic Sprinkelz. When you need to sprinkle some pizzazz on cookies or frosted cakes, these will do the trick!
- Sun Ridge Farms Rainbow Drops. This is the first natural version of an M&M that I actually like the taste of. They’re delicious! And while they don’t come in red & green, you can of course use different colors for different baking projects.
- Tru Joy Candy Canes. No corn syrup, no artificial color, but just as festive as conventional candy canes.
- Immaculate Baking Company cookie dough. If you’re not a baker or don’t have time to make dough from scratch, this dough rocks. This time of year, I love the Vanilla Sugar Cookie, Ginger Spice, and Chocolate Peppermint flavors.
- Bakol Jel Dessert. For those that just have to make their grandmother’s Jello salad every year. This is 100% natural gelatin dessert (aka Jello) and repeatedly gets my kids’ stamp of approval in the taste department.
- Organic Valley Pasture Butter. Because organic and conventional butter are by definition different. I really believe that a cookie made with organic butter is in fact healthier than a cookie made with conventional, and this butter is hands-down the best.
- Color Garden natural food coloring. They have every color you need, and from natural sources (unlike regular food dye which is petroleum-based).
- Wholesome! sugars and sweeteners. Not only are these organic and fairly-traded, they really do make the tastiest baked goods.
[email protected] Faith FitnessDecember 1, 2015 at 6:24 pm
Such a great list!! Pinning 🙂
Amelia WinslowDecember 2, 2015 at 10:56 am
lindsayDecember 2, 2015 at 12:00 pm
love that jello! it’s amazing and so useful this time of year
Sonali- The Foodie PhysicianDecember 2, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Great list! I’m excited about the Let’s do Organic Sprinkelz! Sienna has recently become obsessed with rainbow sprinkles and wants them on everything, lol!
Kerri OlkjerDecember 2, 2015 at 2:25 pm
I’m a huge fan of the pasture butter! Had never seen that food coloring before. I’d just sworn it off. Must. Find. My kids will love fun colors in my holiday baking again.
Amelia WinslowDecember 2, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Lucy too! After finding these I don’t feel so bad about adding sprinkles to her weekend pancakes 😉
Amelia WinslowDecember 2, 2015 at 2:27 pm
You’ll love these, Kerri! I used to be the same; everything I made was white or beige 😉 Now we are a festive kitchen again!
Christine @ Love, Life, SurfDecember 2, 2015 at 6:14 pm
This is such a great list and resource! Holiday baking and cookie decorating are a tradition in our family and I’m so happy to know that there these products out there. I’ll have to look for the food coloring and the sprinkelz!
Patty @ Reach Your PeakDecember 2, 2015 at 6:16 pm
great list! I dont do much baking but actually want to get more into it now that its the holiday season 🙂
Alisa @ Go Dairy FreeDecember 2, 2015 at 7:20 pm
I love this line-up! I have to admit, I have a weakness for organic brown sugar – so good! One of my baking staples is coconut oil another is Simply Organic spices and extracts – love them!!