There’s no tastier way to prepare vegetables than by roasting them, in my opinion. Roasting brings out the sweetness of veggies and makes them perfectly crisp and caramelized.
Now that the weather is cooling off and I can finally turn on my oven again, I’m excited to get back to roasting!
Here are my tips for achieving the perfect roast.
1. Cut veggies into similar sized pieces so they cook in the same amount of time.
2. Place veggies in a single layer so they have plenty of room to brown and caramelize. An overloaded baking sheet will lead to steamed or mushy veggies.
3. Use a good amount of oil, which helps prevent sticking and encourage browning. Experiment with different oils like olive (great for everyday), sesame (for Asian-inspired dishes) or canola (if you prefer a flavorless oil).
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil before roasting, to enhance cooking and reduce clean-up time.
5. Sprinkle generously with salt. Salt brings out the flavor of whatever vegetables you’re roasting.
6. Add dried herbs, or finely minced garlic along with your salt & pepper to boost flavor of the veggies.