Tomatoes and bell peppers are summer veggies, but this soup offers a great way to enjoy them during winter — you only need canned tomatoes and jarred red peppers. Plus, the soup is simple and quick to prepare, so you’ll have a hot flavorful meal on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Perfect with a warm piece of cornbread!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- ½ cup white or red wine
- Two 12-oz jars roasted red peppers, drained well and chopped
- 1 28-oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes of any kind
- 1-2 cups water
- ½ cup heavy cream (I never use cream, but it’s worth it here!)
- Salt to taste
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot (like a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add a generous drizzle of olive oil (1-2 Tbsp) and the onions and saute for 5-7 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle with a little salt (1/4 tsp) then stir in the wine and Chipotle peppers. Let the wine evaporate (2-3 minutes) then add the roasted red peppers, canned tomatoes, and water and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and blend using an immersion blender (aka hand blender) until the soup is a smooth consistency.
- Stir in the cream and serve with a dollop of yogurt on top, if desired.
- FYI: this soup is spicy! If you prefer mild tastes, add only one Chipotle pepper.