Winter is here, and salads with fresh ingredients are harder to come by. But thinking outside the lettuce-and-tomato box can lead you to some delectable winter delights, like this citrus & beet salad, which uses produce that shines during these chilly months.
Citrus and Beet Salad with Avocado and Arugula
- 1 whole Avocado, cut into chunks
- ¼ whole Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large Orange, peeled and cut into segments
- 4 small Beets, cooked and peeled
- 2 whole Grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Arugula
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pinch Ground black pepper
- Peel grapefruit and oranges with a knife, so you cut off the white pith. Cut each fruit into segments over a large bowl, discarding the tough middle of each fruit. Cut each cooked beet into small wedges and add to the bowl, then add the red onion slices and avocado chunks and mix everything together gently with your fingers. (The acid from the citrus fruits will keep the avocado from turning brown).
- Pour salad onto a wide-rimmed platter. Add a large pile of baby arugula leaves on top, then drizzle the whole thing with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Serve immediately. (If making ahead, leave out the arugula until ready to serve).
Some grocery stores sell pre-cooked beets in packages -- look for those if you're short on time, or used canned whole beets in a pinch.
Susie BeeDecember 8, 2010 at 6:12 pm
MillieDecember 9, 2010 at 8:09 pm
YUM! This is like my dream salad come true! Can’t wait to try it 🙂
KaitlynMay 7, 2012 at 1:14 pm
I’m going to try this for a work potluck… it looks delish 🙂 I’ll add the arugula and olive oil right before serving to keep it fresh. Can’t wait to taste it!
AmeliaMay 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm
Let me know how you like it, Kaitlyn!