Not everyone loves the yam-with-marshmallow mixture that appears on most Thanksgiving tables. So this year, surprise your guests one of these unique and delicious alternatives. I guarantee you’ll have a happy crowd.
1. Roasted Squash & Yam Salad (pictured above). Golden raisins, crunchy pecans, and a tangy dressing make this warm salad a real treat for your tastebuds.
2. Sweet Potato & Poblano Salad. Like a little kick, but not too much heat? This dish is for you.
3. Spiced Mashed Yams. Traditional fall flavors in a creamy whipped mash.
- 3 pounds Yams
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ¾ cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup Plain lowfat yogurt
- Fill a large pot half way up with water. Place over high heat on stove and begin to bring to a boil. Cut peeled yams into 2 inch chunks and place in the water with 1 tsp salt. Boil until fork tender then drain in a colander.
- Place hot yams into the bowl of a stand mixer. (You can also mash these by hand with a potato masher). Turn mixer on low and begin to mash yams. Add yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg, syrup, and butter. Turn mixer to medium to whip yams into a creamier mixture for about 15 seconds. Return to low and add chicken (or vegetable) broth, then mix another 10 seconds. Taste for seasoning.
- Place in a large bowl, drizzle with a little more maple syrup and a sprinkling of cinnamon.