I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve made this stew, or some version of it.
Hearty, healthy, quick-to-prepare and made entirely of pantry staples – this recipe has saved me time and again when it’s nearly dinner time and I have no plan.
What’s especially nice about this white bean stew is its versatility. In the same amount of time (about 30 minutes) you can make it…
- With whatever beans you have – garbanzo beans, white beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, etc.
- With any greens, frozen or fresh – kale, chard, collards, spinach, or even Spring Mix.
- With additional veggies if you like – I sometimes add roasted red peppers, shredded carrots or sliced zucchini.
- With toppings like crumbled goat or feta cheese, Greek yogurt, or grated Parmesan cheese.
- Vegetarian, simply by leaving out the sausage.
Below is the (rough) recipe I use most often, but you can definitely customize it depending on the ingredients you usually have on-hand in your own kitchen.
If you make this anytime soon, you can bet we’re probably eating it at the very same time 😉
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package organic mild Italian sausage (I use Applegate), sliced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ½ cup dry white wine (optional)
- 14-oz can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans white beans or garbanzo beans
- 1 5-oz bag baby spinach (or other green) or 8 oz frozen chopped greens
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional - leave out if making for young kids)
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Drizzle oil in the pan and add chicken sausage slices. Cook 3-4 min or until browned then remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the other Tbsp oil to the pan then add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the thyme and wine (if using) and cook 1-2 more min.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, and cooked sausage back to the pot and cook until simmering.
- At the very end, stir in the greens and cook until wilted.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste (I don't add any additional) and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serve however you like!